Pumpkin Spice Wall Hanging
From coffee to candles, pumpkin spice is the essence of autumn. Embrace the season with this patchwork wall hanging and appliqués made with Sizzix Bigz dies.
|Fat 1/4||Ivory solid||Cut (1) 12" x 15" rectangle for the background|
|5" x 6"||Dark orange print||Cut (1) Tall Pumpkin*|
|5" x 6"||Orange with white dots||Cut (1) Tall Pumpkin*|
|4" x 4"||Brown print||Cut (2) stems*|
|6" x 6"||Bright orange print||Cut (1) Short Pumpkin*|
|2" x 2"||Brown print||Cut (1) stem*|
|Fat 1/4||Ivory with tan dots||Cut (44) 2" Squares|
|(44) 2 1/4" Squares||Assorted orange prints||Cut (44) 2" Squares|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|21" x 26"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 17 1/2" x 21 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Project:
- Arrange the Pumpkins and stems on the background
- Heat fuse the Pumpkins and stems in place on the background.
- Stitch around each Pumpkin and stem as desired.
- As shown in the photo, arrange the orange and ivory Squares into units of 10 and 12.
- Sew 10 orange and ivory Squares together to make one strip. Repeat.
- Sew each 10-unit piece to the short sides of the background.
- Sew 12 orange and ivory Squares together to make one strip. Repeat.
- Sew each 12-unit piece to the top and bottom of background.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.