This project is in the bag! The Sizzix Bigz L Box Pouch Die makes it easier than ever to stay organized with personalized carrying cases for makeup, art supplies, jewelry and more!
|15" x 12"||Exterior fabric|
|12" x 12"||Lining fabric|
|12" x 12"||Foam interfacing|
|15" x 12"||Fusible woven interfacing|
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Fold the 15" x 12" rectangle in half so you have a 15" x 6" rectangle. Make a Sizzix sandwich, place the fabric so it extends just over the edge of the die and roll through the machine to die-cut.
Assembling the Project:
- Cut two each from exterior fabric, lining fabric, foam interfacing and fusible woven interfacing. Cut one each from the rectangle and fusible woven interfacing.
- Attach exterior fabric to foam interfacing, and attach lining fabric to fusible woven interfacing using manufacturer instructions.
- Place the zipper a scant 1/4" below the top long edge of the exterior. Pin. Using a zipper foot, start and stop 1/2" from each end.
- Place the lining fabric directly on top; pin and flip to the exterior, and sew directly on top of previous stitching. Press the fabric wrong sides together, away from the zipper, and topstitch on the fabric 1/8" away from the seam, making sure to start and stop 1/2" from each end. Repeat this step to attach the remaining exterior and lining to the opposite long edge of the zipper.
- Bring the exterior fabrics right sides together, and sew across the bottom using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press the seam open. Repeat for the lining, except leave a centered 5" opening.
- Bring the zipper head to the center. Pinch the zipper so that it is aligned with the seam at the bottom. Pin the lining out of the way. Sew using a 3/8" seam. Repeat for the other end. Trim zipper excess. Repeat for the lining using a 1/4" seam allowance (push the exterior out of the way). You will sew over the zipper.
- For the rectangle, press each long edge toward the wrong side by 1/4"; press in half. Topstitch both long edges using a 1/8" seam allowance.
- Insert the rectangle handle into the two openings on the side of the pouch where the zipper pull will be when the zip is closed. Each raw edge of the handle will be in one of the openings in the pouch, and the handle should be centered on the exterior fabric. Make sure that the handle is not twisted. Pin in place, then stitch the handle to the exterior fabric in each opening using a 1/8" seam allowance.
- Pinch one opening on the left-hand side of the pouch so that the raw edges meet. Pin, then stitch. Repeat for the second opening on the left-hand side and for both openings on the right-hand side. Repeat for the lining.
- Turn the pouch right side out through the opening in the lining. Press the opening in the lining toward the wrong side by 1/4". A tip for pressing this pouch is that it should ultimately have a boxed shape, and pressing will help. Pinch the top corners, and press that edge flat; repeat for the bottom and sides until you have worked your way around the pouch and it has a boxed shape.