From A to Z, this pillow is letter perfect! Ideal for a teacher or a child's room, you can make this appliquéd pillow quickly and easy with the help of Sizzix alphabet dies.
|(26) Fat 1/8||Assorted prints||Cut (1) letter* of the alphabet from each print|
Cut (10) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF from different prints
|Fat 1/4||Solid cream||Cut (1) 12 1/2" square for the pillow front|
|Fat 1/4||Floral print||Cut (1) 12 1/2" square for the pillow back|
|1||12" Square pillow form|
|Assorted embroidery floss|
- Finished Size: 14" x 14"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before cutting the shapes.
Assembling the Pillow Top:
- Lay out the letters onto the pillow top. Heat fuse in place with an iron.
- Sew by hand or machine each letter with coordinating embroidery floss.
Making the Ruffles:
- Sew the 2 1/2" Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold the Strips in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, and press.
- Use a basting stitch along the outer edge of the Strips, and gather together the Strips until desired ruffles have been achieved.
- Pin the ruffle to the outer edge of the pillow top, sewing right sides together and with the pressed side on the inside. Sew around the edges securing the ruffle down.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 8" long to stuff.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right side out, insert the pillow form and whipstitch closed.