Flannel Garden Quilt
How does your garden grow? With Sizzix Bigz dies, you can quickly cut squares, triangles and stripes for easy, precise piecing for masterpieces like this Flannel Garden Quilt.
|1/2 yd||Large pink floral flannel||Cut (6) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1/2 yd||Pink floral flannel||Cut (7) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1/2 yd||Orange floral flannel||Cut (8) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1/2 yd||Green floral flannel||Cut (6) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1 1/2 yd||Large green plaid flannel||Cut (27) 4 5/8" H x 8 1/2" W Triangles|
|1 1/2 yd||Green plaid flannel||Cut (27) 4 5/8" H x 8 1/2" W Triangles|
|1 1/2 yd||Gray plaid flannel||Cut (27) 4 5/8" H x 8 1/2" W Triangles|
|1 1/2 yd||White flannel||Cut (27) 4 5/8" H x 8 1/2" W Triangles|
|3/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (7) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|5 yd||Backing fabric|
|54" x 80"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 60" x 84"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the entire quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew together four 4 5/8" H x 8 1/2" W Triangles together to form an 8 1/2" quarter-square triangle block. Press. Repeat until all 4 5/8" H x 8 1/2" W Triangles are sewn together. Return each finished block back into the layout.
- Sew blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to keep the bulk down at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the top. Again, press the seams in alternate directions.
- Measure from the top to the bottom of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut 6 1/2" wide side borders. Piece the two strips together to make the strip long enough. Sew the side borders in place. Press.
- Measure from the left side to the right side of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut the 6 1/2" wide top and bottom borders. Piece two strips together to make the strip long enough. Sew the top and bottom borders onto the quilt. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.