Dresden Flower Pillow
The classics never go out of style! With Sizzix Bigz dies, it's easier than ever to put your own spin on traditional quilting patterns.
|(9) Fat 1/4||Assorted prints||Cut (20) Dresden Plates at 5" for flower petals|
Cut (14) 2" x 5" Strips
|1/2 yd||White||Cut (1) 16 1/2" square for the pillow front|
Cut (1) 4" Circle
|Fat 1/4||Blue floral print||Cut (1) 16 1/2" square for the pillow back|
|5" x 5"||Nonwoven fusible interfacing||Cut (1) 4" Circle|
|20" x 20"||Batting|
|1 bag||Polyester fiberfill|
- Finished Size: 16" x 16"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
Piecing the Pillow Top:
- Sew 20 petals together into a flower shape. Press the seams open.
- Place the 4" white and nonwoven fusible interfacing Circles right sides together, and sew along the edge. Notch the outside within the seam allowances. Clip a 2" hole in the center of the nonwoven fusible interfacing Circle. Turn right side out. Press.
- Pin flower and flower center as desired into the 16" square pillow front, and stitch down by hand or machine using a zigzag or satin stitch.
- Layer the batting and pillow top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
Making the Piping:
- Sew 13 2" x 5" Strips together, creating one long 2" Strip.
- Place the piping down the middle of the Strip and fold over, lining up the edges.
- Stitch the 2" ends together of the floral print Strips with a zipper foot, baste close to the cording.
- Baste stitch the piping along the perimeter of the pillow front.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 4" long to stuff.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right side out, stuff the pillow to desired loft and whipstitch closed.