Carpenter Table Runner
Dress up your table with classic style! This traditional quilt block can be customized to match your home décor and is the perfect country touch for your table.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|Fat 1/8||Solid orange||Cut (24) 1 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|Fat 1/8||Solid blue||Cut (24) 1 1/2" Half Square Triangles|
|Fat 1/8||Solid purple||Cut (24) 1 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|1/2 yd||White print||Cut (48) 1 1/2" Squares|
Cut (96) 1 1/2" Half-Square Triangles
Cut (2) 9 1/2" Squares
|1/2 yd||Black print||Cut (72) 1 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
Cut (3) 2 1/2" Squares
Cut 32) 2 1/2" wide Strip x WOF for binding
|10" x 30"||Batting|
|1/4 yd||Backing fabric|
- Finished Size: 8 1/2" x 26"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Block:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out each carpenter block on a design wall or a table. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew together the sets of Half-Square Triangles, and then return each finished block back into the layout. Press the seam toward the dark side.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press the seams open to keep the bulk down at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the block. Again, press the seams open.
- Repeat for the other two colors.
- Cut the two 9 1/2" white print Squares in half on the diagonal.
- Cut the one 9 1/2" white print Square in quarters on the diagonal.
- As shown in the photo, stitch one quartered Square to the top left of the purple and black carpenter block.
- Stitch one diagonal cut Square to the bottom right of the purple and black carpenter block.
- Stitch one quartered Square to the top right of the purple and black carpenter block. Set aside.
- As shown in the photo, stitch one diagonal cut Square to the top left and bottom right of the orange and black carpenter block. Set aside.
- As shown in the photo, stitch one quartered Square to the lower left of the blue and black carpenter block. Stitch one diagonal cut Square to the top right of the blue and black carpenter block. Stitch the last quartered Square to the bottom right of the blue and black carpenter block.
- As shown in the photo, stitch the purple carpenter block to the orange carpenter block and the orange carpenter block to the blue carpenter block.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.