Flying Saucers Quilt
This quilt design is out of this world!
|(20) Fat 1/8||Assorted rainbow colors||Cut (72) Triangles
Cut (24) Triangles for triangle units
|(13) 1/2 yd||Variety of light and medium gray prints||Cut (90) Half-Hexagons
Cut (88) Triangles
Cut (6) 5" wide Strips x 22" for borders
|5/8 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (8) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|4 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|2 1/4 yd||90" wide Batting|
- Finished Size: 61" x 70"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Stitch one color Triangle to three gray Triangles. See Diagram 1. Make 24 units.
- Choose six Triangles of one color hue. Stitch three top Triangles together and three bottom Triangles together. See Diagram 2.
- Stitch top Triangles to bottom Triangles. Make 12 colored units.
- For each colored Triangle unit, stitch starting with one Half-Hexagon at the corner and stopping halfway through the Triangle. See Diagram 3.
- Continue stitching Half-Hexagons 2−6, in a counter clockwise direction. See Diagram 4.
- Finish stitching the first Half-Hexagon. Make 12 colored units.
- Repeat steps 3−5 using all gray fabrics. Make four units.
- Stitch one all gray Triangle/Half-Hexagon unit to one colored Triangle unit. See Diagram 5.
- Stitch one Triangle unit to each end of one colored Triangle/Half-Hexagon unit. See Diagram 6. Make 12 units.
- Stitch one colored Triangle unit to one colored Triangle/Half-Hexagon unit. Stitch two Half-Hexagons to this unit. See Diagram 7. Make two units.
- Stitch rows together as shown in the Layout Diagram.
- Piece 5" x 22" gray pieces together. Cut into two pieces.
- Measure the width of the quilt, and cut border pieces to fit.
- Stitch the top border and the bottom border to the quilt.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Square up the edges.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3
- Figure 4
- Figure 5
- Figure 6
- Figure 7
- Figure m