Crossroads QuiltProject #18322
It's a pattern anyone can appreciate. Take a creative journey to this colorful Crossroads Quilt that's always in style!
Products Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 662241-Sizzix Bigz Plus Die - Crossroads
|1/4 yd||Sand solid||Cut (25) squares|
|4 1/4 yd||Blue print||Cut (100) of each right and left wedges|
Cut (100) curved kites
|4 1/4 yd||Terra-cotta solid||Cut (100) of each right and left arcs|
Cut (100) long strips
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (7) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3 3/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|66" x 66"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 60" x 60"
- For added interest, different shades of terra-cotta were used.
- Blocks are constructed in four triangle units
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Block:
- Gather these pieces for one block: four blue print left wedges, four blue print right wedges, four blue print curved kites, four terra-cotta left arcs, four terra-cotta right arcs, four terra-cotta long strips and one sand small square.
- Sew a right wedge to its adjacent right arc to form a larger wedge. To make this curved seam easier, fold each curve in half, and finger press the center point. Pin the two pieces together, matching centers, and sew the curved seam with the arc on top "floppy toppy." Press the seam allowance away from the arc (see Diagram 1). Repeat with all the right and left wedge/arc sets.
- Sew these wedge/arc sets to the corresponding sides of the curved kite (see Diagram 2). Pin, matching the notches, and sew the curved seam with the curved kite on top "floppy toppy." Press the seam toward the curved kite. Make four of these triangle units for each block.
- Lay out the triangle units with the long strips and center square (see Diagram 3). Sew together in rows. Sew the rows together to complete a block (see Diagram 4).
- Arrange blocks using the quilt photo as a guide. Sew the blocks together, matching the seams and placing a pin at each intersection to match the intersecting curves and points.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.