Woolly Hexagons Pillow
Hexagons, hexagons and more hexagons! Die-cut several different-sized Hexagons and stack them by color to a make a design that pops with possibilities.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|1/2 yd||Black||Cut (2) 19" squares|
|5" x 5"||Light green wool||Cut (19) Hexagons, 1/2" Sides|
|5" x 12"||Turquoise wool||Cut (19) Hexagons, 3/4" Sides|
|5" x 20"||Dark turquoise wool||Cut (19) Hexagons, 1" Sides|
|5" x 6"||Yellow wool||Cut (24) Hexagons, 1/2" Sides|
|5" x 12"||Dark orange wool||Cut (24) Hexagons, 3/4" Sides|
|5" x 24"||Orange/yellow wool||Cut (24) Hexagons, 1" Sides|
|1||18" Square pillow form|
- Finished Size: 18" x 18"
Assembling the Project:
- Use one 19" square for the front of the pillow and one for the back. Set aside the back for now.
- Fold the pillow front background fabric in half and press. Fold in half again to make a square and press. Unfold the fabric. The pressed folds will intersect at the center of the square to help you arrange the center motif.
- As shown in the photo, stack the Hexagons according to color. Place a drop of basting glue to hold each layer in place.
- Place the turquoise Hexagons in the center of the pillow front. Secure with a drop of basting glue.
- Place the yellow Hexagons around the turquoise Hexagons, spacing 1/4" away from each other. Secure with a drop of basting glue.
- Continue placing the Hexagons on the pillow front as shown in photo.
- Stitch the Hexagons down using a straight stitch on a sewing machine.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 6" long to insert the pillow form.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right side out, insert the pillow form and whipstitch closed.