Layers of Dapper Quilt
Make it timeless with Tim Holtz fabrics. With the right color placement, the quarter-square triangle looks like a Square-in-a-Square block, but was sewn like an hour glass.
|1 Layer Cake||Assorted dark prints||Cut (70) 3 1/2" Squares|
Cut (52) 2" Squares
|Assorted medium prints||Cut (164) 2" H x 3 5/8" W Triangles|
|Assorted light prints||Cut (164) 2" H x 3 5/8" W Triangles|
|1 1/3 yd||Backing fabric|
|37" x 50"||Batting|
|1/3 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
- Finished Size: 33" x 45"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Layer Cake = 40-42 pre-cut 10" squares; usually packaged by collection
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the entire quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew together four 2" H x 3 5/8" W Triangles to form a 3 1/2" quarter-square triangle block. Press toward the medium print. Repeat until all 2" H x 3 5/8" W Triangles are sewn together. Return each finished block back into the layout.
- Sew a pair of assorted dark print 2" Squares together to create a two-patch, and then sew a matching pair of Squares to it to create a four-patch. Press. Repeat until all 2" Squares are sewn into four-patch squares. Return each finished block back into the layout.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to keep the bulk down at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the top. Again, press the seams in alternate directions.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.