Designed to dazzle, this geometric gem offers several beautiful block variations, including a dynamic match-up with the Diamond Sampler.
|1/2 yd||Aqua solid fabric||Cut (48) rectangles|
Cut (48) triangle A (middle of die)
Cut (96) triangle B (end of die)
|(2) 1/8 yd||Light green prints||from each print: |
Cut (2) squares
Cut (8) rectangles
Cut (8) triangle A (middle of die)
Cut (16) triangle B (end of die)
|(2) 1/8 yd||Teal solids||from each fabric: |
Cut (8) rectangles
Cut (8) pointed rectangles
|(12) 12" x 12" scraps||Assorted bright prints||from each fabric: |
Cut (4) rectangles
Cut (4) pointed rectangles
|(12) 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" scraps||12 bright solids||from each fabric: |
Cut (1) square
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3/4 yd||Pillow back fabric||Cut (2) 15 1/2" x 24 1/2" rectangles|
|26" x 26"||Muslin|
|26" x 26"||Batting|
|1 package||Polyester fiberfill|
- Finished Size: 24" x 24"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- This pillow uses two variations of the same block. Use the picture as a reference for color placement.
Piecing the Blocks:
- Sew one triangle A to the end of a pointed rectangle. The triangle is dog-eared to make it easy to align with the rectangle. Press the seam allowance toward the triangle.
- Sew one triangle B to each of the other two straight sides of the pointed rectangle. These triangles are also dog-eared to easily align. Press the seam allowance toward the rectangle (see Diagram 1).
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four of these units.
- Sew the two rectangles together along the long side. Press toward the darker rectangle. Repeat to make four of these units.
- Arrange the pointed rectangle and rectangle units around the center square as shown. Sew the units together in rows, and then sew the rows together to complete the block (see Diagram 2).
- Using the photo for color/fabric placement and following the steps above, make 16 blocks (see Diagram 3).
- Sew the blocks together, pinning at intersections to line up points to form the pillow front.
- Layer the muslin, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- On one long side of each pillow back rectangle, double fold a small hem 1/8"-3/16". Press, and then topstitch in place.
- Place the pillow front and backs wrong sides together, matching the outside edges and allowing the finished back hems to overlap in the middle of pillow. Sew a 1/4" seam around all four sides. Reinforce both sides where the back pieces overlap with an extra row of stitching in the seam allowance.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3