English Paper-Pieced Rose Star Quilt
These colorful stars and beautiful flower bursts come from a die that cuts out both paper and fabric at the same time, which makes it the perfect choice for English Paper Piecing.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|(18) Fat 1/4||Assorted colors||Cut (1) large hexagon*|
Cut (12) half-hexagons*
Cut (18) diamonds*
|Cardstock||Cut (18) large hexagons|
Cut (216) half-hexagons
Cut (324) diamonds
|2 1/4 yd||White||Cut (1) 43" x 48" rectangle for the background|
Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|2 yd||Backing fabric|
- Finished Size: 42" x 47"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
- *Makes one Rose Star block. Make 18 blocks.
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- For each shape, glue baste the fabric to cardstock, and fold over the 1/4" seam allowance.
- With right sides together, whipstitch the long edge of one half-hexagon to the edge of the middle hexagon. Continue adding the remaining six half-hexagons in the same manner.
- With right sides together, whipstitch the side edges of the half-hexagons.
- With right sides together, whipstitch diamonds to the half-hexagons as seen in the photo.
- With right sides together, whipstitch the sides of diamonds.
- With right sides together, whipstitch half-hexagons to light diamonds.
- With right sides together, whipstitch diamonds to diamonds.
- Remove the cardstock.
- Position the finished Rose Stars onto the background as shown in the photo. Machine or hand appliqué in place.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.