Dumpling BagProject #18761
This adorable bag offers enough surface space to spotlight larger-scale print fabrics. They're also ample enough to add your favorite embroidered or appliqué touches.
Products Used662232-Sizzix Bigz L Die - Dumpling
|1/4 yd||Exterior fabric||Cut (2) Dumpling bodies|
|1/4 yd||Lining fabric||Cut (2) Dumpling bodies|
|24" x 9"||Foam interfacing||Cut (1) Dumpling body*|
|24" x 9"||Fusible woven interfacing||Cut (1) Dumpling body*|
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Fold the 24" x 9" rectangle in half so you have a 12" x 9" rectangle. Make a Sizzix sandwich, place the fabric so it extends just over the edge of the die and roll through the machine to die-cut.
Assembling the Dumpling:
- Attach the exterior fabric to the foam interfacing using the manufacturer's instructions. Attach the lining fabric to the fusible woven interfacing using the manufacturer's instructions.
- Mark the center of the zipper with a fabric marker. Fold all pouch body pieces in half and mark the top.
- Pin the zipper face down against the right side of the exterior pouch body. Make sure to align the center markings. Sew the zipper along the top curved edge using a zipper foot.
- Place the lining right sides together with the exterior from the previous step (the zipper will be sandwiched in between). Sew from the wrong side of the exterior directly on top of the previous stitching. Clip the curved edges.
- Turn the fabrics wrong sides together. Topstitch 1/8" away from the edge of the fabric. Start and stop 1/2" away from each end.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for the remaining long edge of the zipper and the remaining exterior and lining fabrics.
- Unzip the zipper halfway. Flip the fabrics so that the exterior pieces are right sides together and the lining fabrics are right sides together. Sew the bottom straight edge of the exterior. Sew the bottom straight edge of the lining, but leave at least a 3" opening in the center.
- Pinch the bottom corner of the exterior so that the seam is centered across the middle of the zipper. Sew using a 3/8" seam allowance. Sew the opposite end of the exterior using a 3/8" seam allowance. Sew the corners of the lining to the exterior corners already sewn, using a 1/4" seam allowance. Trim any zipper overhang.
- Turn right side out through the opening in the lining. Close the opening by machine using a 1/8" seam allowance or slip stitch by hand. Iron the pouch.