Ray of Sunshine QuiltProject #18765
Brighten up any quilt with our Bigz Pro Pies & Points Die. Note the simple elegance of using just two colors to create a crown effect.
Products Used657265-Sizzix Bigz Pro Die - Square, 8" Finished (8 1/2" Unfinished) 660533-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/4" Wide 660534-Sizzix Bigz Pro Die - Pies & Points, 8" Assembled
|1/4 yd||Solid yellow||Cut (5) pie wedges|
Cut (72) inside arc points
|1 1/2 yd||Solid white||Cut (12) 8" Squares|
Cut (5) pie wedges
Cut (72) inside arc points
Cut (48) outside arc points
Cut (20) quarter circles
Cut (48) end arc points
Cut (24) background curved squares
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/4" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|50" x 50"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 44" x 44"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- To make piecing the curved seams easier, find and mark the center of each of the curved seams. Match the centers and pin. Do the same with the ends. A few extra pins in between will hold everything in place while sewing the seam.
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the block on a design wall or table. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- To assemble the pieced arcs, combine two end arc points, three inside arc points and two outside arc points. Placing right sides together and aligning the edges, sew the points together to form an arc. See Diagram 1. Repeat for all 24 pieced arcs.
- To construct the quarter-circle blocks, finger press and align centers to sew a quarter-circle to a pieced arc along the curved seam. In the same way, attach the resulting unit to a background curved square to complete the block. Press the curved seam open. See Diagram 2. Repeat using 20 arcs. Place back into the layout.
- Sew five pie wedges together to form a half-circle. Press the seams all in one direction as you add each pie wedge. Sew two arcs together along the short end to form a half-circle arc. Sew these half-circle units together along the curved seams. Press the seams open. Alignment tip: Fold each piece and pin together, matching these points. See Diagram 3. Repeat for the other half-circle block.
- Sew the two halves together, pinning and the matching seams and centers. Place back into the layout.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to reduce the bulk at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the quilt top. Again, press the seams in alternate directions.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.