Transport your treasures in style! This terrific tote takes hexagons to a whole new level of colorful fun. Make yours with perfect die-cuts every time from Sizzix!
Theme: Basic Shapes
|1/8 yd||Dark coral||Cut (8) Hexagons|
|1/2 yd||Light coral||Cut (8) Hexagons|
Cut (2) 13 1/2" x 12 1/2" for lining
|1/4 yd||Light green||Cut (12) Hexagons|
|1/2 yd||Dark green||Cut (12) Hexagons|
Cut (2) 3 1/2" wide Strips x 28" for handles
|13" x 28"||Low-loft batting||Cut (2) 1 1/2" wide Strips x 28" for handle|
- Finished Size: 11" x 13"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Assembling the Project:
- On the back side of each Hexagon, mark a dot 1/4" away from the edge in each corner of each Hexagon. As shown in the photo, lay out the Hexagons in rows.
- Sew the horizontal rows together first. Sew from dot to dot as you marked on the back side of each Hexagon (Diagram 1).
- When you sew the vertical rows together, you will sew dot to dot, one side of the Hexagon at a time. You will sew a "Y" seam as you go down the row (Diagram 2).
- Layer the body of the bag and the batting. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Trim the edges of the bag, cutting the Hexagons in half.
- With right sides together, sew the bag ends together (leaving the top and bottom open). Sew the bottom of the bag (leaving the top open).
- At each bottom corner, match the side seam and the bottom seam to form a triangle. Measure and mark 1 1/2" across. Stitch on the marked line to create a gusset.
- Place the dark green 3 1/2" x 28" fabric face up with the 1 1/2" x 28" batting strip. Line up the long sides. Sew along the length of the batting. On the opposite long side of the dark green fabric, press under 1/4". Roll the batting to the wrong side of the dark green fabric. Fold the opposite edge of the dark green fabric over the batting, lining up the straight edges. Pin and topstitch closed. Topstitch the opposite edge. Repeat to form one more handle.
- Stitch the lining together, leaving a 6" opening in the bottom.
- Repeat step 7.
- With right sides together, line up the top edge of the bag and the edges of the handles. Sew together.
- Place the body of the bag inside the lining, right sides together. Pin and sew around the top edge. Trim and clip the seam. Turn the bag right side out through the lining, and sew the hole closed.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2