Easy Breezy Pillow
Make this easy breezy design come to life! With simple shapes that are perfectly cut every time with a Sizzix die, you'll love to make this pillow and perhaps even a coordinating quilt!
|(6) 10" squares||Assorted prints||Cut (54) Half Hex shapes|
|1/4 yd||Blue print||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for piping|
|3/4 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 26" x 18 1/2" rectangles for the pillow back|
|20" x 20"||Batting|
|1||18" Square pillow form|
- Finished Size: 18" x 18"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Pillow Top:
- Using the photo as a guide, lay out the pattern on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of the layout.
- Sew the Half Hex shapes together into rows. Press the seams in opposite directions.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the pillow top. Press the seams open.
- Layer the pillow top and batting. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Square up the edges to 18 1/2".
Making the Piping:
- Stitch the 2 1/2" ends together of the blue print Strips.
- Place the piping down the middle of the Strip and fold over, lining up the edges.
- With a zipper foot, baste close to the piping.
- With the zipper foot, sew the piping to the edge of the pillow top, curving the edges as you go.
- Place the pillow top right side up on a table. Lay one of the 26" x 18 1/2" rectangles, wrong side up, lining up the raw edges with the raw edges of the pillow top. Fold the rectangle wrong sides together.
- Lay the second 26" x 18 1/2" rectangle, wrong side up, on the side of the pillow top that is not covered. Folding wrong sides together. The backs will overlap, which will allow you to insert the pillow form. Pin the backs and top together.
- Stitch a 1/4" seam around the outside edge of the pillow.
- Turn pillow top right side out.
- Insert the pillow form.