|3 yd||Fusible adhesive, 18" wide||Cut (102) 5 1/2" x 6 1/2"|
|1/2 yd||S13 Ice||Cut (17) 1 1/2" Circles*|
Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
|3/4 yd||S03 Fuchsia||Cut (68) Dogwood Petals*|
|1 yd||S19 Kiwi||Cut (17) Medium or Medium/Large Leaves*|
Cut (5) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|3/4 yd||DF48 Gray||Cut (17) 6 1/2" x 6 1/2"|
|1 3/8 yd||DF53 Sapphire||Cut first: (2) 6" x 43 1/2" from LOF and (2) 6" x 44 1/2" from LOF|
Then cut: LOF to 42" to mimic WOF and (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x 42"
|3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 1/2 yd pieces|
|48" x 60"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 43 1/2" x 55 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- When die-cutting the Dogwood Petals, align the fabric so you will get two medium/large Dogwood Petals when you put the fabric through the machine.
- There will be extra Leaves and Petals that can be used on another project.
- When die-cutting fabric Strips with the dies, leave the fabric folded as it comes on the bolt.
Assembling the Flower Blocks:
- Using a 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" Square of DF48 Gray and the quilt picture as a guide, arrange one Kiwi Leaf, four Fuchsia Petals and one Ice Circle in the center to make a flower. Heat fuse in place. Use a small zigzag stitch around the Leaf, Circle and Petals to permanently attach the flower. If desired, use another decorative machine stitch to make veins in the flower petals. Repeat 16 more times.
Assembling the Striped Blocks:
- Sew a 2 1/2" Strip of DF53 Sapphire to each side of a 2 1/2" Strip of D13 Ice. Press. Repeat two more times.
- Cut eighteen 6 1/2" segments from the striped fabric created in step 1.
Assembling the Quilt Center:
- Using the quilt photograph as a reference, sew the blocks together into seven horizontal rows. The rows all alternate the flower block and the striped block and use five blocks. Four of the rows with start and end with the striped block and three of the rows will start and end with a flower block. Also note the direction of the stripes in each row.
- Sew the rows together to make the quilt center, again using the photograph as a guide.
Adding the Borders:
- Sew the five Strips of 1 1/2" x WOF S19 Kiwi together into a long piece. From this, cut two 30 1/2" x 1 1/2" and two 44 1/2" x 1 1/2" pieces.
- Sew a 30 1/2" x 1 1/2" Strip from step 1 to the top and bottom of the quilt center. Press.
- Sew a 44 1/2" x 1 1/2" Strip from step 1 to the two long sides of the quilt center. Press.
- Sew a 44 1/2" x 6" piece of DF53 Sapphire to the two long sides of the quilt center. Press.
- Sew a 43 1/2" x 6" piece of DF53 Sapphire to the top and bottom of the quilt center. Press.
- Sew the two 1 1/2 yd pieces together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.