Circles Quilt #2
For all-around imagery, nothing beats this Circles #2 quilt. It has all the geometric goodness to grab anyone's attention and easily works within the principles of good design. Follow the directions and begin your full-circle experience!
|1 1/2 yd||Background fabric||Cut (20) 10" Squares|
|3 yd total||Assorted prints||Cut (20) 4" Circles|
Cut (20) 6" Circles
Cut (20) 8" Circles
|1 yd||Brown print||Cut (13) 2" wide Strips|
Sub-cut into (49) 2" x 9 1/4"
|1 3/4 yd||Green print||Cut (4) 5" wide Strips x LOF|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x LOF for binding
|Fat 1/4||Yellow print||Cut (20) 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" Squares|
|3 1/4 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 5/8 yd pieces|
|60" x 70"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 54 1/2" x 65 1/4"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- LOF = Length of fabric
- Place an 8" Circle in the center of a 10" Square. Zigzag stitch, edge stitch or use a decorative stitch around the outside edge of the Circle. Repeat 19 more times.
- Center a 6" Circle on top of the 8" Circle. Zigzag stitch, edge stitch, or use a decorative stitch around the outside edge of the Circle. Repeat 19 more times.
- Center a 4" Circle on top of the 6" Circle. Zigzag stitch, edge stitch, or use a decorative stitch around the outside edge of the Circle. Repeat 19 more times.
- Cut the 10" block in half diagonally. Repeat 19 more times.
- Randomly sew the block halves together for all 20 blocks. Press the seams open to eliminate the bulk.
- Cut the blocks in half diagonally in the other direction. Repeat 19 times.
- Randomly sew the block halves together for all 20 blocks. Press the seams open to eliminate the bulk. The blocks will measure 9 1/4" unfinished (8 3/4" finished).
Assembling the Rows:
- There are five rows that alternate the 2 1/2" x 9 1/4" Rectangles of brown print and the 9 1/4" (unfinished) Circle blocks. Each row has five Rectangles and four Circle blocks. All the rows start and end with a Rectangle. Press the seams toward the rectangles.
- There are six rows that alternate the 2 1/2" Squares of yellow print and the 2 1/2" x 9 1/4" Rectangles of brown print. Each row has five 2 1/2" Squares and four Rectangles. All the rows start and end with a 2 1/2" Square. Press the seams toward the Rectangles.
Assembling the Quilt:
- Sew the quilt rows together alternating the block and the sashing rows. The rows will start and end with a sashing row. Press.
- Sew the two 5" x 56 1/4" green print to the five block sides of the quilt. Press
- Sew the two 5" x 54 1/2" green print to the remaining two sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the two 1 5/8 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.