English Paper-Pieced Sewing Kit
Keep yourself in stitches with this sharp-looking Needle Case & Sewing Pouch. It has all sorts of personalization possibilities and because you made it with Sizzix you know the shapes are cut perfectly every time!
You will need about three pieces of cardstock to use for the patterns for English paper-piecing.
|1/2 yd||Orange print||Cut (25) 1" Hexagons|
Cut (2) 7 1/2" x 8 1/2" Rectangles
|Fat 1/8||Blue print||Cut (18) 1" Hexagons|
|Fat 1/8||Brown print||Cut (12) 1" Hexagons|
|10" x 10"||Multi-colored print||Cut (6) 1" Hexagons|
|1 package||Fusible adhesive||Cut into 1/4" Strips|
|Fat 1/4||Brown wool|
|1||8" or larger plastic zipper|
|1||Temporary glue for fabric|
|61||3/4" Hexagons cut from cardstock|
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- English paper-piecing basic instructions: With the wrong side of a 1" fabric Hexagon facing up, place a 3/4" cardstock Hexagon inside, centering the cardstock. Turn the 1/4" of fabric around the outside edge over the cardstock and tack in place at each corner. Whipstitch the finished Hexagons together with the cardstock left inside.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
Making the Kit Cover:
- Using the English paper-piecing method above, prepare all 61 fabric Hexagons.
- Using the photograph as a guide, start in the center of the piece with an orange print Hexagon. Add the multi-colored print around the outside of the center orange Hexagon. Work from the wrong side of the Hexagons and use a whipstitch to sew them together. You will have to bend the cardstock to make it easier to sew.
- Continue adding Hexagons around the center: brown, then blue and finally orange. Leave the cardstock in place for now.
- Using the manufacturer's instructions, adhere the fusible adhesive 1/4" strips around the outside edge of the cover (on the turned-over edge of the fabric).
- Carefully remove all the cardstock from the Hexagons. Place the cover, wrong side down, on the wool. Heat fuse in place.
- Trim the felt about 1/8" away from the fabric edge.
- Edge stitch around the entire cover.
- Fold the cover in half, press. Stitch on the fold line to make it easier to close the kit.
Making the Storage Pocket:
- Take the 7 1/2" x 8 1/2" orange print Rectangle and fold in half so it measures 7 1/2" x 4 1/4". Press. Repeat with the second Rectangle.
- On a table, lay out the zipper. Place the folded edge of one of the rectangles about 1/8" from the zipper teeth. Make sure the top of the zipper is about 1/2" from the raw edge of the fabric. Glue in place. Repeat with the second Rectangle on the other side of the zipper.
- Sew the zipper in place by stitching on the fabric, about 1/8" away from the folded edge.
- Use a tight zigzag stitch and sew across the bottom of the zipper about 1/8" to 1/4" from the fabric edge (in the fabric). Cut off the excess zipper.
- Unzip the zipper halfway. Fold the two pieces of fabric together so the zipper pull is in the inside. Sew a 1/4" seam around the raw edges to complete the storage pocket.
- Turn right-side-out and press.
- Whipstitch the storage pocket to the stitched fold line on the wool side of the cover.
- Add the snap on each side, and your sewing kit is ready to fill.