Welcome Wall Hanging
It's a sign of things to come: an inviting sign welcoming good friends. From beautiful birds to crisp letters this pattern offers an eyeful of artistry with an assist from Sizzix quilting dies.
|(8) 5" Squares||Assorted prints||Cut (30) Half-Square Triangles|
|Fat 1/8||Blue print||Cut Letters* to spell "WELCOME"|
|6 1/4" x 4 1/2"||Red print||Cut (1) Bird*|
|4 1/2" x 2 1/4"||Tan print||Cut (1) Bird Wing*|
|1 yd||Background and backing fabric||Cut (1) 10 1/2" x 19" for background|
Cut (30) Half-Square Triangles
Cut (4) 2 1/2" Squares
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|18" x 30"||Batting|
|1||Small black button|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 14 1/4" x 23"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
Assembling the Project:
- Arrange the Letters and Bird on the background.
- When satisfied with the arrangement, heat fuse in place with an iron and stitch around shapes as desired.
- Pair one background-colored with one green print Half-Square Triangle and sew the diagonal seam to form a square unit. Press. Repeat until all Half-Square Triangles are sewn together to form square units.
- Using the quilt image as a guide, sew 5 square units together to form a side border. Repeat. Press. Be sure the prints are placed in the same corner in all blocks.
- Sew 10 square units together to form the top border. Sew a 2 1/2" Square to start and end the top border. Repeat to form the bottom border. Press. Be sure the prints are placed in the same corner in all blocks.
- Sew the side borders to the background. Sew the top and bottom borders to the background.
- Layer the backing, batting and top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the wall hanging. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the wall hanging and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.