The Park Card
Stroll in the park? Here is the latest from Tim Holtz collection and our latest card inspiration using the die set.
Other Supplies: Craft Mat, Acrylic Paint (Lilac, Turquoise, Yellow), Artist’s Sponge, Gilding Wax (Bronze), Paper Trimmer, Pencil, Printer, Scissors, Scrap Paper, Water Spritzer
- Die-cut out of black cardstock the man, the woman and umbrella elements from The Park die set. Apply bronze gilding wax to the top of the die cut elements. Do this by lightly applying the wax to a finger, removing the excess on a scrap piece of paper. Then apply the wax lightly to the die cuts. Keep adding light coverings of the wax until a desired effect is achieved.
- Cut a 4" x 5" panel of ivory cardstock. Position the die-cut elements on the front of the ivory panel so that the man is holding the umbrella over the woman or vice versa, use a pencil to lightly mark the position of each edge of the umbrella.
- Using Maker’s Tape, mask the bottom of the umbrella to the bottom of the ivory panel. The masked area should widen towards the bottom. This marked area will represent the area where rain isn’t falling to the base of the panel and should be completely masked.
- Apply a small amount of each color of acrylic paint to a craft mat. Spray the artist’s sponge once with water and squeeze it to remove any excess (the sponge should be almost dry).
- Take a small amount of one color onto the sponge and lightly it drag down the full length of the ivory panel in one direction. Repeat this process with the other acrylic paint colors. There is no need to wash the sponge in between colors, as mixing the shades is not a problem. Ensure the ivory cardstock is still showing through lightly in some areas.
- Once the paint is dry, remove the Maker’s Tape to reveal the plain ivory cardstock underneath.
- Arrange the die cut man, woman and umbrella elements in the center of the card in the positions they were placed in step 2. Adhere the elements in the center of the card so that the open umbrella is laid over the masked area to give the impression it is blocking the rain. The top of the open umbrella should touch the top of the painted panel and the feet of the man and woman should touch the bottom edge of the painted panel.
- On a sheet of ivory cardstock, print the phrase ‘Whenever you need me’, then use scissors to cut around the sentiment. The rectangle around the sentiment should not have perfect right angles.
- To create the ‘I’ll be there’ sentiment, either download a ‘Dymo’ style font and cut around it, or use a Dymo machine. Arrange all sentiment elements on the card front as desired with foam tape.
- With the Blending Tool, ink the corners of the painted panel with Vintage Photo ink, blending darker at the corners then lighter towards the middle.
- Cut a 4 1/4" x 5 1/4" panel of black cardstock. Cut a 5 1/2" x 8 3/4" panel of ivory cardstock and fold it in half to create a card base.
- Center and adhere the painted panel to the black panel and center and adhere the black panel to the front of the card base with liquid adhesive.