"Bee" Kind Spring Home Decor
Hi everyone, it's Alexis from the Creative Team! Today I wanted to share with you all a step-by-step tutorial on how to create this "Bee-utiful" spring home decor piece. I love how bees have been trending and I was inspired to combine the Bee Thinlits Die Set with one of my favorite phrases "Be Kind". Add in a splash of flowers and you can't go wrong! Check out how I created this plaque in the details below.
What you will need:
- Sizzix® Big Shot® Machine (660200)
- Sizzix® Bigz™ XL Die - Chunky Alphabet (664385)
- Sizzix® Thinlits® Die Set - Bee (663852)
- Sizzix® Thinlits® Die Set - Wedding Wreath (663862)
- Sizzix™ Accessory - Glue Gun (663550)
- Sizzix™ Accessory - Glue Gun Accessories (663005)
- Sizzix™ Accessory - Glue Gun Sticks, 8", Clear, 20 PK (663065)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Cardstock, 8 1/4" x 11 5/8", 20 Assorted Colors, 80 Sheets (663007)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Biodegradable Fine Glitter, Cherry Blossom, 12g (663881)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Biodegradable Fine Glitter, Arctic Sky, 12g (663885)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Biodegradable Fine Glitter, Sorbet, 12g (663882)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Mat Board, 6" x 13", White, 6 Sheets (656492)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Express Glue (664576)
- Sizzix™ Making Tool - Paper Sculpting Kit (662225)
- Sizzix™ Surfaces - Texture Roll, 12" x 48", Rose Gold (663805)
- Acrylic Paint (White)
- Foam Brush
- Paint Brush
- Wood Plaque (7" Round)
How to make:
1. Paint the entirety of a wood plaque in white acrylic paint. Paint additional coats as desired and set aside to dry.
2. Die-cut out of desired cardstock colors a variety of flowers, flower centers and leaves from the Wedding Wreath die set. Adhere a piece of rose gold Texture Roll to a portion of mat board. Die-cut out of mat board the letters "K I N D" from the Chunky Alphabet Bigz die.
3. Die-cut out of black cardstock a decorative bee Thinlits and out of yellow and blue cardstock the bee Framelits from the Bee Thinlits die set. Trim off the wings, legs and antennae from the yellow bee die cut with a pair of scissors.
4. To create dimension, paper sculpt the various flowers and leaf die cuts using the stylus tools and molding mat from the Paper Sculpting Kit. (*Note: the spiral rose die cuts are assembled with tweezers, by rolling the outer end of the spiral towards the center of the die cut. Adhere the circle base to the rolled portion of the flower.) Assemble flower layers as desired, adhering the elements together with Express Glue or hot glue. Adhere sequins from the Arctic Sky and Limencello Sequins & Beads into the center of chosen flowers.
5. Apply Express Glue to the tops of chosen leaves, spiral flowers and the blue bee with a paint brush. Matching the die-cut cardstock elements, apply coordinating or complimentary glitter colors to the top of the glue and shake off the excess. Set aside the elements to dry.
6. Adhere portions of the wreath to the plaque with hot glue, leaving an opening at the top large enough to fit the bee between the ends of the wreath. In the center of the wreath, hot glue the KIND letters to the wood plaque.
7. Adhere the yellow bee body to the blue bee body with hot glue. Adhere the center portions of the black bee above the two colorful bees with hot glue. By not gluing down the wings it becomes dimensional like the rest of the wreath. Adhere the bee to the top center of the wreath with hot glue.
8. Arrange the remaining leaves and flowers around the perimeter of the wedding wreath as desired and adhere the die cuts to the wreath with Express Glue or hot glue.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you have been inspired to create your own inspirational 3-D plaque. What kind of spring home decor do you like to incorporate into your home? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time...Happy Crafting!